U7 Initiation Program
2021-2022 Parent Information
Updated September 21, 2021
The Initiation Program, the first stage of the hockey season, is a skills-based camp for U7 players to develop their hockey skills before team-based play begins in November.
- VP House League Mike Demdiuk - firstname.lastname@example.org
- U7 IP Director - Matt Zubec - email@example.com
- U7 IP Lead Instructors:
- September: 18, 19, 25, 26
- October: 2, 3, 9, 10, 16, 17, 23, 24, 30, 31
- 45 minute sessions, beginning at 8:00am, 8:45am, 9:45am, 10:30am
- Cohorts rotate through start times weekly so no cohort always has the 8:00am start time
Players must wear full eqipment and provide their own socks and jersey. Please ensure your child has their name on their helmet.
For more information on hockey equipment fitting, visit: https://sjamha.ca/parents/
Cohorts and Groups
Players will be placed in one of four cohorts (A,B,C,D) based on community club.
Grouping players by ability will allow them to develop their skills and confidence alongside peers at their level and enjoy themselves as they begin their hockey season. Each cohort will be divided into four groups, based on level of experience.
- Green - New Skater
- Blue - Beginner
- Yellow - Intermediate
- Red - Advanced
Week 1 Assessment
During the first two U7 IP sessions, instructors will do an informal assessment so that players can be placed in appropriate ability groups within their cohort for week 2 onwards. The second weekend of IP, each player will receive a coloured helmet sticker indicating their colour group for the remaining sessions. If a player is placed in a group that is not a good fit, they may be moved to another colour group at a later date.
Allard Arena COVID Protocols
- Stay home when sick.
- Players must dress and undress at home.
- Players can enter the arena wearing skates with guards or skates can be tied indoors.
- Please fill water bottles at home.
- 1-2 spectators per player. Siblings can attend if necessary, but must remain with parent.
- Masks mandatory inside the building. Masks are not required on the ice.
- Proof of vaccination and photo ID required for all adults over 18.
- Arrive no more than 15 minutes before ice time.
- Sanitize hands upon entry and exit.
- Use only designated exits and dressing areas to limit congestion.
- Maintain 2m physical distancing in bleachers and dressing areas.
- Spectators must sit in bleachers, no watching along glass or benches.
- Exit promptly after ice time, undress at home.
Locations - Entrances, Exits, Dressing Areas, Washrooms
In order to reduce congestion in the arena and permit physical distancing of 2m, we have added four dressing areas along the west side of the rink. Please use only the dressing areas and exits that are designated for your child’s group.
We hope that you and your child enjoy the U7 Initiation Program and the beginning of the hockey season. Thank you for supporting the St. James Assiniboia Minor Hockey Association!