U7 IP and U9 DP On-Ice Volunteers
Please complete this form by September 8 if you are interested in becoming a U7 IP/U9 DP On-Ice Volunteer.
What Is Required?
The SJAMHA U7 Initiation Program and U9 Development Program require player’s parents/guardians to participate as on-ice volunteers, assisting with implementing the lesson plans and leading players through various drills and activities.
- No prior coaching experience is necessary – just a fun, positive attitude and a desire to promote the enjoyment of hockey as a lifetime sport and hobby.
- Volunteering can be rewarding for all participants – experienced coaches, new coaches, parents/guardians interested in coaching or just wanting to support their child’s first years of minor hockey.
- Lesson plans will be provided to Lead Instructors at each session and made available in advance of the sessions via the SJAMHA website.
- There are 14 on-ice sessions over 7 weeks (approximately September 12th – October 25th).
- All sessions are held at Allard Arena.
- Your assistance is essential to the success of this program and is greatly appreciated!
- Hockey Canada lesson plans adapted by SJAMHA are available to volunteers, via the SJAMHA website, in advance of the program start date. This will allow volunteers to have a sense of the drills and activities involved prior to each session.
- SJAMHA IP Liaisons will be on hand during the sessions, providing volunteers with copies of the lesson plans, to assist with implementing the lesson plans, to answer questions and provide overall support.
Building the Foundation
- The first ever ice time for a first year House League player can be a daunting experience for players – and parents too! We all have a role to play in working to build the foundation for a lifelong passion for the game of hockey, starting with first year players and continuing with 2nd , 3rd and 4th year House League players.
- The U7 IP and U9 DP programs are about working to develop basic hockey skills and building confidence – the little things like reassuring smiles and positive comments, “You can do it!”, “Great Job!!” will go a long way to building a child’s ongoing desire to play the game.
- In 2019-2020, over 240 House League players participated in the SJAMHA U7 Initiation and U9 Development Programs. Our U7 IP and U9 DP Programs will have 6 to 7 groups of players combined. Players will be grouped based on age (i.e. a 5 year-old player will be grouped with fellow 5 year old players).
- We are planning for possible variations in skill/skating ability and possible accommodations that can be made within each group.
- An average of at least 3 parents/guardian on-ice volunteers are needed for each IP/DP group. There is no limit to the number of volunteers required. In fact, the more the better!
- There will be Lead Instructors for each ice session with detailed practice plans being provided. This will help to effectively communicate the lesson plans with not only volunteers but players as well. The Lead Instructor will support and help both players and volunteers meet our goal of overall player/coach development while building confident players/coaches at the House League level.
Without the dedication and support of on-ice parent volunteers, this program cannot continue.