U9-U18 Female Rockets/Titans
Girls ages 7-17 in the SJMAHA and Seven Oaks Minor Hockey Association (SOMHA) are eligible to play with the Rockets/Titans.
Visit www.rocketstitansfemalehockey.com for more information on Rockets/Titans Hockey.
Rockets Titans Female Hockey is responsible for organizing the female minor hockey program for Seven Oaks (SOMHA) and St. James-Assiniboia (SJAMHA) areas.
Female hockey offers the opportunity for young girls to engage in a healthy, active lifestyle while learning valuable life lessons and developing new friendships that will last after the hockey season ends. Whether your daughter is just starting out or has been playing for a number of years – there are a number of great opportunities for her to become involved in female hockey.
Dates, Times and Locations
- Registration opens early August before the commencement of the season
- Season runs September to March
- Usually one game per week, mostly on weekends 2-3 practices per week, mostly on week nights
- Most teams register for 2-4 weekend tournaments
- Games take place at variable times at various arenas around Winnipeg
- Practices usually take place at arenas within St. James/Seven Oaks
- Approximately 60 -70 total ice times during the season
- Registration Fees: $650-750 paid in August (see annual registration fees document)
- Team Fees: Approximately $300-500 paid once teams formed.
- Team fees vary depending on number of extra practice ice times, tournaments, team apparel etc.
- Some teams choose to fundraise to reduce team fees
- The Rockets offers A1 and A2 teams at the U9, U11, U13, U15 and U18 levels
- The Titans offers AA teams at the U13, U15 and U18 levels
- Follows Hockey Canada Long Term Player Development Model
- Emphasizes skill development (balance and agility, skating, puck control, passing, shooting)
- Coaches are parent volunteers who undergo Hockey Manitoba and Respect in Sport training
- Parent volunteers are also needed as managers, safety rep., tournament organizers/staff
Stages of Season
Evaluations/tryouts (early September)
- Tryouts take place at the U9, U11, U13, U15 and U18 levels. At each age group, players will be pooled together from all SOMHA and SJAMHA community centres to create teams at different levels (A1, A2)
- Players are evaluated by outside evaluators during 2-4 evaluation skates
- After evaluations, players are placed at the A1 or A2 level
- Players can choose to try out for AA Titans at the U13, U15 and U18 levels prior to Rockets tryouts
Team Formation (mid-September)
- Coaches are selected for each of the Rockets teams and teams are drafted
- All SJAMHA/SOMHA girls A1 and A2 teams at the U9-U18 levels are called the Rockets, regardless of the home community club of players
Regular Season (October-February)
- Novice Games – Two teams are on the ice, 4 on 4 play, score is kept, referees manage game
- Ice is divided with boards into two half-ice zones: a game zone and a development zone
- Players are placed in three groups based on skill level
- Players rotate though goalie position game by game (equipment is provided)
- While two groups take part in the game (one on ice, the other on bench) , the third group is in the development zone practicing skills
- Two minute shifts, at 12 minute intervals, groups rotate in/out of development zone.
- U11, U13, U15, U18 Games – Full-ice, 5 on 5, score is kept, referees manage game. Usually one game per week, mostly on weekends
- Practices – 2-3 practices per week, on weekends and week nights
- Tournaments – Most teams register for 2-4 indoor/outdoor tournaments, each consisting of 3-4 games
- All teams make the playoffs, and play until they are eliminated
- Season is usually complete before the end of March