Hello SJAMHA members,

Thank you for your patience in dealing with the variety of restrictions that are affecting our minor hockey season this year. The probability of having a hockey season this winter is based on the lifting of provincial public health orders and the availability of ice facilities for teams to compete and practice at.

Last week, I met with our Hockey Winnipeg board and SJAMHA Board and coaches. From my perception, based on information received from the Hockey Winnipeg meeting, if restrictions were not lifted by January 22 it would be very difficult to start and complete even a modified hockey season. As you know, restrictions have been reduced for some businesses and personal gatherings but not for sport or recreation. At this point we are waiting for further information from Hockey Winnipeg about their plans to possibly organize a shortened schedule for this season.

The City of Winnipeg has indicated that they will keep arenas open but gave no timeline. Some community/private run facilities have taken their ice out already and SJAMHA needs to make an informed decision on our ability to keep Allard Arena open for the next 3 months. SJAMHA has received 2 Manitoba Bridge grants to date that is assisting with the cost of running Allard arena.

In the event the season is cancelled we have every intention of providing as large a refund as possible. As stated on our website, full refunds cannot be reimbursed due to set costs from Hockey Canada for insurance, Hockey Manitoba for administrative expenses and SJAMHA for try outs. Please see our website message re: Membership for more details.

Finally, if the season is cancelled SJAMHA may provide programming in the form of skill camps, 4 on 4 leagues etc. We are asking families to fill out a brief survey regarding your intentions if the season is extended.


Scott Lockhart
SJAMHA President