The APSJ Officials’ Association is looking for a Mentorship Coordinator for the 2021-2022 season (with possible renewal for 2022-2023). The successful candidate will have:
- 3 years or more experience as a level 3 or higher official.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience mentoring officials.
- Experience with Microsoft Office, specifically Excel.
- Post-Secondary education with preference given to a completed degree or certificate; consideration will also be given for equivalent life experience.
- The ability to work with high independence when making decisions, but also knowing when to ask questions or for help.
- Commitment to working as part of the APSJ Officials’ Association administrative team to maximize positive experience for our officials.
- Proof of double vaccination for COVID-19, able to transport self to arenas to perform mentorships, home computer, internet, and ability to work from home.
- Demonstrated leadership skills in the hockey community that may include mentorship, assigning, serving as an RIC, serving on boards or executives, coaching, working with less experienced officials. Alternatively, leadership experience from the non-hockey community will be considered.
The Mentorship Coordinator will report to the Vice President of Officials (VPO) in APSJ and will:
- Learn the role of Mentorship Coordinator by training with the VPO.
- Determine the Highest Capable Level (HCL) of officials using mentorship results as well as discussions with the Referee-in-Chief and mentors.
- Track and communicate the HCL with the assignors.
- Track mentorships to ensure that all officials receive two mentorships (at their HCL) per season with a priority placed on less experienced officials.
- Identify mentorship games and assign officials/mentors to those games.
- Track development and advance capable officials from Two-Official to Three-Official system while ensuring that the first game in a new position includes an on-ice mentor.
- Use Assignall.com to assign games, deal with returns and cancellation.
- Recruit mentors, develop mentors, ensure that mentorship reports are submitted in a timely manner, distribute completed mentorships to officials.
- Work with administration team to develop plan for playoff assignments.
This financial compensation for this position is $1500 plus $1.75 per official or mentor assigned (~500 per season); paid at the end of the season. In past seasons, the mentorship coordinator has worked up to 100 hours in a season including both coordination and assigning.
If you are interested in joining the APSJ Official Association administrative team please submit a cover letter and resume, by September 15, 2021 to:
Vice President of Officials, APHA & SJAMHA